Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Warning- Annoying Harvey Comics Character May Cause Choking....


Title: BABY HUEY'S GREAT EASTER ADVENTURE

Manufacturer:  Columbia/ Tri-Star Home Video

Date: 1998

In the past, I've done some writing for various film review and appreciation websites dedicated to media that falls under the so-called "B-Movie" umbrella...y'know, the stuff that's "so bad, it's good" low budget category, or (even worse) the "stuff that's so terrible it has to be seen" department.  Mix that with the knowledge that I obsess and adore films and televison that's adapted from either a comic strip or comic book source material, and from time to time I'm asked, "What's the worst comic book movie you've ever seen?"
Now, this is a hard one for me to nail down....I've always noted that I'm game to watch any film at least once,  and will also argue that no matter a film's budget (or lack of) or the film-maker's talent (or lack of), if a viewer finds humor, even if it is unintentional humor, in a movie, the it's accomplished part of it's job, which is to entertain you.  So, how can some "bad" movies really be all that bad?
Having said that, though, let's have a little bit of fun with the question....so I present to you BABY HUEY's GREAT EASTER ADVENTURE (1998)...
Based upon the Harvey Comics property and produced around the same time that Universal was cleaning up on the CASPER license with the live action film, and I believe Warner Bros. had the Macaulay Culkin-starring RICHIE RICH film on everybody's mind, BABY HUEY just blows my mind.   I understand it's a direct to video kid's flick, but I just find it hilarious that someone actually produced a live action Baby Huey film,....with an actor in a Baby Huey suit.   And not the high tech animatronic kind, either.  Looking at the box art, you might expect something magical, like something outta the Henson Creature Shop...but what you get is something slightly more articulated than what you see on suit performers in amusement parks.
Comic book ducks in live action (I'm looking at you, HOWARD) do not translate very well. 

Also, I think this was packaged with some sorta kids' toy originally, because why the hell does the front of the box art have a CHOKING HAZARD WARNING?!?  Unless this is meant to refer to the quality of the film itself....



No comments:

Post a Comment